We have established a Trust known as 'The Spencer Academies Trust', which is a charitable company limited by guarantee, and as such we are required to comply with 'The Companies Act 2006' (www.companieshouse.gov.uk). Trustees, Directors and Governors of the Trust are listed in the Annual Report forming part of the Annual Account. A range of documents appertaining to our Trust are available to view or download:
- Articles of Association
- Master Funding Agreement
- The Essential Trustee - What You Need to Know, What You Need To Do
- Pecuniary & Business Interests
- Directors' Attendance at Meetings
- Governance Roles & Responsibilities
- Example Scheme of Delegation for Academies - (for a copy of each academies' individual Scheme of Delegation, please visit their website)
Click here to view the Trust's forward planner...
Click here to view our Trust Committees...
Further information on Academies is available via: http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/leadership/typesofschools/academies
Trust Governance Structure
- 1 legal entity
- 1 set of Articles governing all the Academies
- Master Funding agreement with Secretary of State plus supplemental funding agreement
- Each Academy has Local Governing Body to which the Multi Academy Trust can agree delegate some matters which is done through a Scheme of Delegation
- Regular Chief Executive Officer and Chairs of Governors briefings
Supporting World-Class Governance
World class governance is essential for continuous and sustainable improvement – more so today than ever before. There is now greater scrutiny on governance including governance within multi-academy trusts and within individual Academies.
- "Governors strengthen the leadership of the academy, because they are highly skilled and strategic in their outlook. They play an important role in evaluating the academy's work and setting the direction for the future."
- George Spencer Academy, Ofsted May 2015
- "They hold school leaders to account for how well the school is doing and have made a good contribution to the improvements made."
- Long Field Academy, Ofsted February 2016
- "Governors offer an effective balance of support and challenge… They are strategic in their approach and have a very clear understanding of the academy’s strengths and areas for improvement. Governors visit school to see it in action for themselves."
- Fairfield Primary Academy, Ofsted July 2016
We provide a range of support and training for Governors, putting improvement and development at the heart of governance leadership and management and we work with organisations such as the National Governors' Association (NGA) and FASNA (Freedom and Autonomy for Schools – National Association) by providing membership for all our schools to these organisations.
All our Academies, with the exception of Inkersall Primary School, has a Local Governing Body (LGB) in operation. Inkersall operates a Local Advisory Council (LAC) during a transition period. The Trust has a Scheme of Delegation in place with each LGB or LAC which can be found on the individual Academies website.
Chairs of Governors
- Chetwynd Primary Academy - Malcolm Batchelor
- Fairfield Primary Academy - Donna Kinderman
- George Spencer Academy - Jill Wilkinson
- Glenbrook Primary School - Patricia Shaw
- Heanor Gate Science College - Please contact Jill Wilkinson for further information
- Inkersall Primary Academy - Local Advisory Council
- Long Field Academy - Janet Marriott
- Portland Spencer Academy - Jill Wilkinson
- Sunnyside Spencer Academy - Dianne Raynor
- Wyndham Primary Academy - Geoff Weightman
For initial contact with the Chairs of Governors, please go through the Clerks...
We have a team of 6 Clerks who providing full clerking services to our Local Governing Bodies:
- Chetwynd Primary Academy - Claire McMillan: email@example.com
- Fairfield Primary Academy - Claire McMillan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- George Spencer Academy - Lynne Hoptroff: email@example.com
- Glenbrook Primary School - Hazel Charlton: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Heanor Gate Science College - Kylie Burbage: email@example.com
- Inkersall Primary Academy - Sarah Ray: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Long Field Academy - Maria Bradley: email@example.com
- Portland Spencer Academy - Hazel Charlton: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunnyside Spencer Academy - Claire McMillan: email@example.com
- Wyndham Primary Academy - Sarah Ray: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Jill Wilkinson for more information relating to our Clerking Services.